Heavy Metal Toxicity

Heavy metal toxicity is an unfortunate reality for most people living in the industrialized world, given our near-constant exposure to these toxins during the course of daily life. The adverse effects include a wide range of health problems, from fibromyalgia and tinnitus to infertility and chronic fatigue syndrome. The most serious problems result from the ways that heavy metals create chronic inflammation and suppress immune function.

External sources of heavy metal exposure include cosmetics, food additives and preservatives, pesticides and insecticides, certain seafood, amalgam fillings and other dental materials, children’s toys, batteries and electronic products, costume jewelry, medical vaccinations, clothing and job-related activities, such as construction and metalsmithing. Not surprisingly, we rarely see patients who don’t show toxic levels of at least one heavy metal. 

Conventional dentistry encourages the use of toxic metal alloys in the form of crowns, bridges, restorations and implants. The unique metal alloys typically used in Western dentistry are a combination of both precious and non-precious metals, which have been proven to corrode and oxidize over time, releasing toxic metallic particles into the mucous membranes and bloodstream. It is difficult, if not impossible, for the body to filter and clear these particles because they bind directly to cells, causing pathological changes within each cell and inflammatory immune responses within the body. As the dental device ages and deteriorates over the course of many years, the individual is continuously exposed to an increasing number of these metallic particles, which results in toxic levels of heavy metal buildup within the cells. 

Regardless of the source, heavy metal toxicity can lead to serious health conditions including fibromyalgia, tinnitus, oxidative stress, cancer, electro-sensitivity, headaches, depression, autoimmune disease, skin disorders, infertility and chronic fatigue syndrome.